Seaview Hospital was a historic tuberculosis sanatorium, now a national historic district located in the Willowbrook section of Staten Island, New York. The complex was planned and built between 1905 and 1938 and was the largest and most costly municipal facility for the treatment of tuberculosis of its date in the United States. The historic district encompasses 37 contributing buildings and one contributing site. The main buildings are located along a north–south axis along Brielle Avenue and many are in the Colonial Revival or Tudor Revival style.
After many years of being shuttered and empty, the Seaview Hospital has slowly opened its doors again to care for the community with a rehabilitation center, nursing home, independent living facility, volunteer fire company and Volunteer Ambulance Service. At the site of the former Seaview Hospital, today the Sea View Hospital Rehabilitation Center & Home operates a long-term care facility. The facility houses the first Long Term Care Brain Injury rehabilitation center in the Downstate area. The Facility is run by the Health and Hospital Corporation. (Text courtesy of Wikipedia.com)
Well known African American physicians, such as Frederick Douglass Stubbs and Peyton F. Anderson, worked at Seaview at various times because of their specialties in Tuberculosis. The famous nurses called the "Black Angels" worked at Seaview in the tuberculosis wards. In addition, a number of famous African Americans died at Seaview, including Joseph Meyers (piano and banjo player), and Bill Pettus (baseball player in the Negro Leagues).
Read about Seaview Hospital at: https://tinyurl.com/y5w7m994.
Coming soon: Read The Black Angels: The Untold Stories of the Nurses who helped Cure Tuberculosis by Maria Smilios. Learn more at: https://tinyurl.com/y3m9hykg.